Thursday, December 5, 2013

Ik wil trouwen

On a somewhat chilly and typically damp day in Brussels, Belgium fifteen or so years ago, I struggled to push my toddler son’s stroller over the large cobblestones near the Grande Place, just as I was struggling to figure out how to occupy him for the hour or so until my husband would join us. As I rounded a corner near our hotel, I noticed what looked like a parade forming up the street near the top of a small hill and thought, what good fortune! Nothing like a parade to entertain a toddler!

The sidewalk was mercifully smooth on the uphill slope. As I found a perfect spot on a corner, I noticed that there were strangely few people there to watch the parade. Counting myself lucky, I positioned my son for maximum visibility, then crouched down beside him to share my excitement at what we were about to share together.

What appeared shortly thereafter was not what I expected. Men in very little clothing and enormous, vibrant feathers strutted down the street, accompanied by men and a few women clad in black leather and a lot of hardware. They were having a perfectly fabulous time, and seemed delighted that my son and I were there to watch. I realized quickly what I had stumbled into, and while I confess that I was little relieved that my son was too young to ask any questions later, I was pleased to experience something far more topical than some random, centuries-old parade near a European town square.

After all, just a few short years earlier, I had penned and saw published a letter to the editor of the International Herald Tribune that argued cogently and passionately for the right of gay couples to adopt children. My letter was a response to an opinion piece I had seen a few weeks earlier arguing against it, and I carefully and succinctly took that opinion piece apart, point by point. Apparently the editors found my argument convincing since they printed it. I was very proud.

Yet even as I stood in my progressive self-satisfaction on a street corner that chilly day in Brussels, I saw a sign among the revelers that carried a message I had never before considered: Ik wil trouwen.

I don’t know why, but it had never occurred to me that gay people would want to marry.

I was startled. Stunned, even.

I still don’t know why I was so surprised, especially for a woman who was perfectly ready to argue for gay rights in areas that others thought should belong only to mixed gender couples. It probably had something to do with my religious upbringing, even though at that point I was not a practicing Christian.

Now I am a Christian, and I have been following what has been taking place on this question in the United Methodist Church. I have read my cousin Kevin Higgs’ book Hospitality to Strangers: Theology and Homosexuality. I’ve read what Bishop Melvin Talbert has to say on the subject. I realize that my denomination – Presbyterian Church USA – also fails to acknowledge gay marriage. I confess that I straddled this issue in my head for years since that day in Brussels: on one side, my gay friends and their unions that are no better or worse, and certainly no less sacred than my own, and on the other the supposedly Biblical teachings of my religion on the subject.

I read the Bible cover to cover when I gave my life to Christ as an adult to make sure I knew what I was getting into. I've read the parts about women, slavery, and homosexuality that I don't understand, and that don't seem to gel with who Christ is. So I kept straddling. I was probably worried about not being a good Christian, even as I spoke words of encouragement to my gay friends.

But over time my ambivalence has drained away. Maybe it was watching most of my college students look at those who do not embrace gay marriage as if they had just crawled out from under a rock. Perhaps it was seeing a fairly famous and talented friend perform career suicide by leaving her stance concerning gay marriage ambiguous at best, and by tangling it all up with Christianity.

In any case, I am straddling no longer. I don’t know or care anymore if it’s Biblical. I am simply a loving person who wants folks to be able to love those they love fully in the presence of God. I don’t think Christ would stand with those who hate. It’s just not in His nature.

On that damp corner in Brussels, with my toddler son staring in fascination, I had never considered gay marriage, and was certainly not ready to embrace it. Now I embrace it fully.