Monday, December 30, 2013

Flipping It

I left a video message on Skype the other day. I was trying to Skype my husband, who was away on business, but he didn’t answer, and Skype very kindly asked if I wanted to leave a video message.

Sure enough, when I clicked on it, a window popped up, and suddenly I was face to face with myself, my webcam tracking my every movement. I clicked Record and did it in one take.

When I clicked Stop, however, Skype gave me the option to send the video, re-record, or cancel. That’s when it got interesting. At that moment, Skype flipped the image of my video so that now instead of looking at a mirror image – which Skype provides when you see yourself on the webcam – I was now seeing the properly “flipped” image of myself that everyone else sees. This image was familiar in the way images of myself in photographs are familiar, but also strange and unsettling because I’m not used to seeing that person. I can honestly say I don’t know her well.

This got me thinking about an evening a week or so ago when I went to an open mic. Lately I’ve been working up new arrangements of my original music and playing them out at open mics. I am a classically trained cellist, but I only picked up the guitar a few years ago, so playing guitar while I sing, especially when I’m nervous, is still a challenge. Long story short, I did not play as well as I had hoped that particular night and was pretty upset about it.

But the truth is, my playing that evening was probably fine. I am not the next American Idol (though someone once paid me a confusing compliment that if American Idol had been on 20 years earlier I’d have been a shoo-in), but I didn’t stink up the joint either. I was actually “very good,” as another performer accurately noted, but that evening, this was not enough for me. I was in full-on piss-all-over-myself mode, furious at my lack of professionalism, steel nerves, and general perfection. I even went so far as to inform my steering wheel on the way home that I was tired of SUCKING.

But the truth is, I didn’t suck.

Which brings me to my point. The view from here – inside my head, heart and body looking out – is very different from the one perceiving me as everyone but me perceives me. I literally can’t see myself directly in the same way others see me directly.

Think about that for a second: we all go through our entire lives never having physically seen our own faces without some form of mediation like a mirror or a photographic device. Isn’t that enough to convince a person that perhaps our own judgments of ourselves from within are … well … limited at best?

Hang onto that thought for a moment, then consider my judging myself by my mirror image. This person who shows up in the mirror every day – and on Skype only during the recording process – is a stranger to everyone but me. I am the only one who sees her regularly, yet she is often the one on whom I base my judgments about myself, my worth, my abilities, and my talents, not to mention my looks.

As I considered these things, I realized how truly logically perverse it is to judge myself only from either the limited vantage point I have from inside my head, or from my mirror image. No one else sees or knows those two points of view, because they don’t correspond to anyone’s direct perception of me. The view from inside my head may be direct and real for me, but it’s limited. My mirror image, on the other hand, is neither direct nor real for anyone, because it’s not how I directly perceive myself, nor how anyone else directly perceives me.

Now I am not necessarily suggesting that others can see me better than I can see myself, but I’m willing more and more to entertain the thought. At minimum, I have grown more and more suspicious of my judgments about myself, particularly the harsh ones, as they come from a very limited perspective – the inside of my head, or from the indirect, inverted image I see in the mirror.

So it is with my music. I record my practice sessions regularly, and even though I shudder every time I set up the microphone, I am constantly stunned by how NOT CRAPPY I sound on playback. Again, I’m no American Idol, but I’m also never as horrendous as I perceive my talents to be at the moment I exercise them.

And so it is with life. I’m never as bad as I think I am. I don’t see me like everyone else sees me, because it is literally physically impossible to see myself as directly as they do.

This of course raises the deeper question of why I bother with any of this – why the obsession with judging myself? I think it’s natural to want to know how I’m doing, but on what criteria do I accept these judgments? Looking only to myself is suspect. Looking to others is also suspect, as their perspective on me is colored by their own wishes, desires, and suspicions.

I know the answer: I need to seek my value in the eyes of my higher power, but I still don’t know how to do that. Or rather, I still have not weaned myself from reliance on the opinions of mortals. It’s not that those opinions aren’t valuable; sometimes they are. It’s that they don’t satisfy, because no matter how sincerely anyone tells me they like my music, for example, I don’t really believe them, because I wonder if they're just trying to be nice.

Perhaps it is the discouraging words I have received from others that cause words of encouragement to bounce off. But that also suggests that I really should be relying on something else – or someone else, like a higher power – for a true understanding of my self worth rather than deferring to these nasty remnants of opinion that have taken up residence in my heart.